Lifelong Learner & Reflective Practitioner

Lifelong Learner & Reflective Practitioner

Let's Transform Our Schools Into TRUE Professional Learning Communities

Let's Transform Our Schools Into TRUE Professional Learning Communities
In Your School- Do all stakeholders subscribe to the belief that EVERYONE has something to learn and EVERYONE has something to teach? This blog can help you gain insight on how to facilitate this transformative mindset with your faculty!

Aug 4, 2010

A Child's Perception

I ran into a former student of mine today and it got me thinking about this really funny thing that happened when I taught her so many years ago. It was the night of Open House and I noticed Shyniece standing at the bulletin board talking with her parents. I had not ever met them in person before so I wanted to go over and formally introduce myself. As I introduced myself and began to tell Shyniece's parents how much I enjoyed having their daughter in my class, I realized that her mom was just sort of staring at me. I began to feel a bit uncomfortable and even wondered if I had something in my teeth. Then she said, "I'm so sorry to keep staring at you, Ms. Spates. It's just that my daughter talks about you constantly and I am sure that she told me that you were black." She looked at Shyniece and asked her why she had told her that. Shyniece said, "Oh, my bad Ms. Spates. I thought you was light-skinned."

No comments:

Post a Comment